Friday, January 14, 2011

Peek-A-Boo, I See You!

I love playing peek-a-boo. The smile and laughter of a baby brings so much joy. As the baby grows, the game changes from peek-a-boo to hide and seek.

I was always amused when Brittany would play hide-and-seek. Her idea of hiding was to place her head face-down on the couch! In her mind, she couldn’t see me, so I couldn’t see her! I would pretend to look for her, call out her name, and comment on how hard she was to find. Without fail, she would lift up her head and smile really big and say, “Here I am!”

Brittany is in college now, but I find myself still playing hide-and-seek. And I find that I am just as good at hiding as Brittany! You see, it is really hard to hide from El-Roi, the God who sees (Genesis 16:13-14). Just as Hagar tried to hide from Sarah in the wilderness, I have been guilty of trying to run to the wilderness and hide; of trying to hide from offense, pruning, God's call on my life, difficult decisions, failures, insecurities.

I would hear God calling and unlike Brittany, I would crouch lower and bury my head, not wanting to be found. But when I least expected it, I would hear His voice saying, “Peek-A-Boo, I See You", and He would pick me up, hold me close, reassure me, and carry me home.

He will do the same for you. You are never out of His sight. He is always looking and calling for you. He is forever El-Roi, the God who sees. Lift up your head and smile really big and say, "Here I am!" and then get lost in His embrace.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment