Saturday, September 3, 2011

If... A Conditional Promise

As I was reading Proverbs 2, verse 1 really jumped off the page.  I guess it was the "if" that got my attention.  A conditional promise - a promise that requires action on my part.

If I receive His Words
It is not enough to just hear what He is saying.  I have to receive what He is saying.  I have to allow His Word to transform my life.  I have to seek His will knowing that He loves me and knows what is best for me.  I have to allow His Word to penetrate the deep places of hurt and offense and bring healing and wholeness.

If I treasure His commands within my heart
1 John 5:3, "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments.  And His commandments are not burdensome."  When I allow His Word to penetrate my heart and allow Christ to transform me by renewing my mind (Romans 12:2), then His commands are no longer bondage to me, but rather liberating.  I am truly free!  I no longer "have" to do or not do certain things, I "want" to do or not do certain things.  My love for Christ, my desire to please Him, becomes my motivation for following His commands.  My heart is then filled with His Word, or good treasure, and the overflow of my life will be blessing and not cursing, faith and not fear, life and not death, victory and not defeat, love and not hate (Luke 6:45).

So what is God requiring of me and what will I receive as a result of my obedience?  I believe God is desiring intimacy and relationship and trust.  If I trust Him intimately, then I will receive His Word with an open heart and bear good fruit (Matthew 13:23)  I will follow His commands.  If I am following His commands, then I will not follow the paths of darkness, but I will walk in the way of goodness and righteousness.  Then my life will be blessed.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment